DERRY — On Nov. 5, 238 fourth- and fifth-graders participated in the Derry Elementary Fun Run at Pinkerton Academy.
The students at the five Derry elementary schools — Ernest P. Barka, Grinnell, East Derry Memorial, Derry Village and South Range — train for six weeks in physical education classes and participate in running clubs after school.
Presentation of Mary, St. Thomas Aquinas and Hampstead Central Schools also participate with their running clubs and teams.
This community event allows these fourth- and fifth-graders the opportunity to learn about fitness concepts, training, setting goals and challenging themselves.
They learn how to pace themselves and how to run a mile, improving every week and trying their best.
For a lot of the students, it is their first opportunity at running a race or first experience running cross-country. Some students will run faster than others, but the focus is on each student trying their best and completing the mile.
The atmosphere on race day is enthusiastic, with music playing and every runner being cheered on from start to finish.
• • •
Join the discussion. To comment on stories and see what others are saying, log on to derrynews.com.
Leaders of the pack
1. Isabella Bruno, Presentation of Mary
2. Chloe Tardif, Presentation of Mary
3. Samantha Gibbs, South Range
4. Sydni Leger, Barka
5. Faith Veilleux, Derry Village
1. Alex Cafaro, St. Thomas Aquinas
2. Jeff Potvin, East Derry Memorial
3. Conor Seleny, Barka
4. Nathan Marshall, St. Thomas Aquinas
5. Nicholas Schiarappa, St. Thomas Aquinas
1. Kiley Davis, Hampstead Central
2. Sydni Dery, Hampstead Central
3. Stephanie Davis, St. Thomas Aquinas
4. Madeline Burke, Hampstead Central
5. Hannah Holland, South Range
1. Justin Carbonneau, Presentation of Mary
2. Jacob McAdams, South Range
3. Jeffrey Mize, East Derry Memorial
4. Chris Lawrence, Presentation of Mary
5. Brendon Banks, Barka