DERRY | A 13-year-old Derry boy suffered minor injuries when he accidentally started a fire in a shed while working on a snowmobile on Tuesday.

Niel Raiche of 95 Fordway Extension said he was inside the family's house about 4:30 p.m. when he saw flames shooting out of the shed next to the house.

Within minutes, the Derry Fire Department was on scene and had the flames extinguished, but smoke could still be seen coming from the building more than 30 minutes after the fire was under control.

"We could see smoke from (West) Broadway," Derry fire Battalion Chief Michael Gagnon said.

Raiche's son, Brett, who was inside the shed when the fire started, was taken to Parkland Medical Center, Gagnon said. The teen was later released from Parkland, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Raiche said the entire shed was likely destroyed in the fire.

-- Eric Parry

Trending Video

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you