CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Gov. Chris Sununu on Monday requested a federal disaster declaration for New Hampshire as a result of storms and flooding that happened July 29-Aug. 2, a week after he asked for one covering storms from mid-July.

Sununu’s letter to Paul Ford, the acting regional administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency in Boston, said roads and infrastructure were washed out in 35 communities across the state and forced some evacuations.

Sununu’s letter said the first round of rainfall was preceded by four weeks of above-average precipitation in southwestern New Hampshire, which had already experienced record rainfall that exceeded 10 inches. The southwest part of the state typically sees around 4 to 5 inches of rain throughout the entire month of July.

The state estimated damages at $3.2 million, but that doesn’t represent the full scope of damages and costs communities and state agencies will have to spend to return to pre-disaster condition, the letter said. The costs are expected to be much higher.

The town of Acworth was the hardest hit, with rain washing out 75% of their road infrastructure and numerous culverts, the letter said.

Trending Video

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you