MANCHESTER N.H. — In an affidavit released this week, officers who approached an off-duty Londonderry cop at the scene of an accident said they could smell alcohol on his breath and that the man told officers he had consumed “adult sodas.”

On the night of April 5, witnesses saw a white truck “driving erratically” on Route 101 in Amherst, according to police. Just after 11 p.m., the white 2018 GMC Sierra 2500 pickup truck driven by 27-year-old Tyler Berry of Amherst struck a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe head-on, according to the affidavit.

Sierra Croteau, the 21-year-old woman driving the Hyundai, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.

Berry was taken to Catholic Medical Center in Manchester with serious injuries, according to the affidavit. Later he was charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated.

This week, Berry waived his arraignment scheduled for Thursday at Hillsborough County Superior Court in Manchester.

In court documents, police say multiple witnesses who were driving on Route 101 that evening who saw a white truck with veteran license plates driving erratically. Those sightings match the description of the truck Berry was driving at the time of the accident, according to court documents.

Police say that just before the fatal crash Berry was initially traveling westbound, and then he “proceeded to cross a turning lane… then entered the eastbound lane all while still traveling west,” according to court documents.

Witnesses at the scene of the accident confirmed they saw Berry’s truck crossing lanes even before the accident, according to court documents.

A woman at the scene said while she was driving on Route 101 in Bedford a truck matching the description “passed her on the left through an intersection… (then) she believed that the pickup then passed several vehicles on the right prior to the next intersection.”

When police interviewed her at the scene of the accident she was 99 percent sure the truck that was part of the crash was the truck that passed her, court documents said.

A man at the scene told police that the white truck with veteran license plate passed him and two other cars on the left, despite there being a double yellow line, according to the affidavit. The man described the truck’s movements between the westbound and eastbound lanes just before he saw the car’s lights go out. That’s when he came upon the accident and called 911, according to police.

Police say at the scene of the accident and again later at the hospital police officers smelled alcohol on Berry. During the night, an officer obtained a warrant to get two blood samples from Berry an hour apart to test for alcohol and other possible intoxicants in the blood.

Officers were able to obtain the first blood sample at 5 a.m. on April 6, according to police. Then an hour later Berry refused to let officers take any more blood, documents say, according to court documents.

After being discharged from the hospital, Berry has since been released on his own recognizance with the conditions that he shall not drive nor consume alcohol, according to the affidavit. 

He’s been suspended from the department with pay, pending the outcome of the investigation, according to police.

“This case is currently still under investigation and it is anticipated that other charges will be brought forward in the future,” court documents say.

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you