Scott Brown was arraigned in Derry District Court for holing up in his home in Chester with an hours-long standoff with police.

CHESTER | A man who allegedly fired a shotgun inside his home and threatened police remained jailed yesterday on domestic-violence related charges.

Scott Brown, 45, of 253 Lane Road in Chester, was the focus of a three-hour standoff early Sunday evening that ended when he came out of his home and surrendered to police.

A neighbor called police shortly after 5 p.m. Sunday after Brown's wife ran out of the home. Police said yesterday that Brown had endured some kind of personal problem that led to his apparent breakdown.

"Everybody I've talked to says he's a great guy," said police Chief William Burke. "Hopefully, he can get the help he needs to get back on track. I'm glad nobody got hurt."

Details of the case remained under court seal yesterday after Judge Robert Stephen agreed with prosecutors to keep a police affidavit out of the public eye. Prosecutor David Mooney said he made the request so that details of the case wouldn't corrupt the potential jury pool for Brown's case.

Brown shuffled into Derry District Court yesterday under police escort, wearing leg irons and an orange jail jumpsuit. Stephen ordered Brown jailed on $100,000 cash bail.

"At this time, I feel this is something that is necessary in order to protect the community," Stephen said.

The judge ordered Brown to have no contact with his wife or the neighbor who called police. That neighbor's home served as a base of operations during the standoff.

Burke said yesterday the first officer who arrived at the home responded to a domestic call. He heard a shotgun being fired inside Brown's house and called for backup, Burke said. About 20 local and state police officers responded to the home, including a crisis negotiator who convinced Brown to come out. Police struck Brown with a Taser to subdue him.

Brown fired his gun twice inside his home, left the house once briefly, and fired again into his deck and a lawn chair, Burke said.

During the standoff, Brown told police "he would shoot anyone or any police officer that came near the residence," according to a police complaint.

Brown faces four felony charges, including three counts of reckless conduct and a charge of criminal threatening.

His lawyer, Andrew Gallagher, asked for a lower bail, saying his client has no criminal record and worked as a vice president of operations at a local company. Gallagher said Brown made no threat against his wife and that she preferred to be able to have contact with him. Brown is due back in court next Monday.

Trending Video

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you