Timothy Longua

BRENTWOOD — A former Londonderry youth football coach has been found not guilty of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl.

The jury’s verdict in Rockingham Superior Court comes only a month after Timothy Longua, 42, of 7 Lang Way was cleared in another sexual assault case involving an 11-year-old girl.

Longua was charged with sexually assaulting the two girls during several sleepovers at his home between May 2012 and January 2013. He told Londonderry police he had been drinking during the sleepovers and did not remember assaulting anyone.

The seven-man, five-woman jury deliberated for about 40 minutes April 16 before handing up its verdict on the two felony charges to Judge Kenneth McHugh. The trial began with jury selection Monday.

Longua, a former assistant coach with the Londonderry Wildcats youth football league, was pleased with the verdict, according to his lawyer.

“Him and his family are relieved that both cases are over,” attorney Charles Keefe said last week. “We believe the jury decided rightfully in not just one but both cases.”

Longua, his wife, Maura, and 13-year-old daughter testified during the trial as did the alleged victim, now 13.

“He is trying to get back to his normal life at this point,” Keefe said. “Since day one, he has maintained his innocence.”

Assistant County Attorney Jennifer Haggar praised the alleged victim for having the courage to take the witness stand.

“Obviously, we are disappointed that it didn’t result in a different outcome,” she said of the verdict. “But I’m proud any time a victim comes forward to testify.”

If convicted, Longua faced years in prison on the felonious and aggravated felonious sexual assault charges.

Felonious sexual assault is punishable by three and a half to seven years in state prison while aggravated felonious sexual assault is punishable by 10 to 20 years in prison. He had been free on $10,000 cash bail.

Longua turned himself in to police March 2013 after the two girls told officers about the alleged assaults. They were first investigated by the state Department of Children, Youth and Families, which received an anonymous report about one of the girls.

Both children told police Longua was drunk when he touched them as they slept in his basement.

Longua was exonerated in the first case March 7 after the jury deliberated for several hours.

He was found not guilty on three counts of felonious sexual assault and single counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and attempted felonious assault.

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you