DERRY — The 40th Greater Derry Track Club Kids Summer Fun Run kicked off at the Pinkerton Academy track June 26.
Two-hundred and fifty-seven excited runners signed on to the series in spite of the overcast skies and misty rain. The first week’s donation of 292 pounds of food was taken to St. Thomas’s Food Pantry in Derry. The run on July 3 was rained out.
GDTC members lead the children in stretching exercises and provide running tips. The 2- and 3-year-olds run 50 meters, 4- to 6-year-olds run 200 meters, 7- and 8-year-olds run 300 meters, 9- and 10-year-olds run 600 meters and 11- to 13-year-olds run a cross -ountry mile. Those older than 14 run an open mile on the track, an event which brings out local high school elite runners.
Children receive participation ribbons each week, which are supplied by the Derry Recreation Department. Water, Gatorade, and watermelon are supplied each week.
Runners who complete the series will receive medals and T-shirts from GDTC. For more information and pictures, visit gdtc.org.
RESULTS June 26
1. Cullen McClain (Derry) 1. Aili Carney (Derry)
2. Michael Stuart (Chester) 2. Natalie Hayes (Derry)
3. Jacob Lebroda (Derry) 3. Alyssa Ferrelli (Derry)
1. Zachary McDarby (Candia) 1. Grace McDonough (Londonderry)
2. Cameron Katzenberger (Derry) 2. Lauren Morse (Derry)
3. Aaron MacMullin (Derry) 3. Jillian Crofton (Salem)
1. Trevor Demers (Auburn) 1. Cailey McDonough (Londonderry)
2. Connor Donovan (Windham) 2. Maddy Hayes (Derry)
3. Xavier Anthony (Derry) 3. Emma Donnelly ( Londonderry)
1. Conor Seleny (Derry) 1. Lillian Law (Londonderry)
2. Mateo Peguri (Auburn) 2. Elaina Latino (Atkinson)
3. Matthew Sullivan (Windham)
1. Jake Donnelly (Londonderry) 1. Tara Steck Yeaton (Auburn)
2. Conrad Demers (Auburn) 2. Audrey Latino (Atkinson)
3. Ethan Desmarais (Chester)
Damon Kilgore (Londonderry) 4:37 Morgan Samsing (Chester) 5:40
The series continues on July 10, 17, 24, and 31 at the Pinkerton Academy track.
Registration begins at 6 pm ,and the races start at 6:30 pm.
Participants are asked to bring a nonperishable food item each week.