Thanks for support of soup kitchen
To the editor:
The Sonshine Soup Kitchen is blessed to have the faithful support of the Greater Derry Track Club. We thank them for selecting the Sonshine Soup Kitchen to receive a portion of the monies raised through their annual “Turkey Trot” road race. We are grateful for their donation of $2,250 presented to us in January and wish to thank the organizers and participants of this event.
The Sonshine Soup Kitchen operates solely on donations. This donation will go a long way to help prepare the 60 meals we serve daily. It is vital to our mission to have the continued support of the entire community. We are grateful that the Greater Derry Track Club is committed to helping provide that support.
Please keep the soup kitchen and our guests in your thoughts and prayers.
Sonshine Soup Kitchen
Tax rate depends on your vote
To the editor:
This letter is an attempt to reach out to the 19,000 registered voters in Derry. On Tuesday, March 12, there will be a town election in Derry. This year the stakes are high. Derry is on course to having the highest tax rate in New Hampshire. Not just Southern New Hampshire, but the entire state. Voter apathy has brought this to our door. Historically speaking, fewer than 10 percent of our registered voters vote in local elections. Why is that? Why do the other 90 percent of Derry’s voters allow a certain group of people to determine their tax rate, their financial future?
To those who do not vote: You can no longer afford to sit home and complain about your local government and your local School Board that have complete control over your local tax rate, unless you get out to vote. Do not whine when your property tax bill is due three weeks before Christmas thereby ruining your celebration plans of this holy day. Do not whine that you cannot afford to pay your tax bill and the Town of Derry places a lien on your house until your tax bill is paid in full with interest, and if you cannot pay the back taxes the Town of Derry takes possession of your home. Do not whine to me when you see me in the grocery store how you can no longer afford to buy this or that because Derry’s tax rate is so high. My first question from now on will be “did you vote in the local election?” And if the answer is no, then I no longer want to hear your complaints.
There simply is no excuse for not voting. None. Get off your duffs and get out and vote. It takes all of about 15 minutes once a year and twice a year when there is a presidential election. You have more control over your local government than you do over those who represent us in Washington. Your local government is accessible, your federal government is not. When your local government raises your tax rate to the point that you can no longer afford to enjoy your quality of life, vote them out of office. What power you have in your single vote! My husband won my vacated seat as Derry’s District 1 town councilor by one vote. Clearly each and every vote counts.
Derry taxpayers are fortunate to have Mark Osborne who is running for town councilor at large and Tom Cardon who is running for District 2 town councilor. These two gentlemen are committed to working hard to reduce Derry’s tax rate. Please vote for Jeri Murphy for School Board, who voted against raising the School Board’s proposed budget by over $800,000 dollars. Clearly these three candidates want to make Derry more affordable for everyone, not just those individuals who make over $100,000 per year.
Again, the election takes place on Tuesday, March 12. The polling places are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Districts 1 and 3 vote at Pinkerton Academy. District 2 votes at Calvary Christian School, and District 4 votes at the Gilbert H. Hood Middle School. There are plenty of volunteers at each polling place who will assist you in the voting process should you require it.
Let’s send a message on March 12 to our local government and School Board, that Derry’s citizens are mad as heck over our current and proposed tax rate and we are no longer willing to allow fewer than 10 percent of our registered voters to determine the financial future of our town and that of our citizens.
Janet A. Fairbanks
Have your say on state budget
To the editor:
There is nothing magic about a balanced budget. More programs require more revenue. Less revenue requires more program cuts.
The House Finance Committee is seeking public input on budgeting issues during the month of March. The closest hearing for Derry residents will be at the Nashua Community College from 5 to 8 p.m. on Monday, March 11. The budget discussions will center around Gov, Maggie Hassan’s proposed 2014-2015 biennial budget. You can review this budget at http://admin.state.nh.us/budget/.
Here is your chance to offer your input on our state budget.