DerryNews.com, Derry, New Hampshire

July 4, 2013

Poor Boy's drive-in won't open for 2013 season

Original location is still going strong

by Julie Huss
jhuss@derrynews.com

---- — LONDONDERRY — A summertime drive-in spot on Nashua Road has closed its doors.

Poor Boy’s drive-in located off Exit 4 at 8 Nashua Road will not open for the 2013 season.

The drive-in opened in 2009.

The original Poor Boy’s diner at 136 Rockingham Road remains open.

Both locations are owned by Dave and Lisa Fortier.

The drive-in location, formerly a gas station, had been in the family for years.

Dave Fortier got the opportunity for the second location when his sister’s gas business fell into some financial trouble.

He decided to do what he had done so successfully before — take over a family member’s struggling property and turn it into a Poor Boy’s eatery.

That was also the premise behind the original Londonderry Poor Boy’s diner. That land and business was once owned by Fortier’s father and was known years ago as Kathy’s Cafe.

In 1990, the business began to struggle ,so the Fortiers bought the building and turned it into the original Poor Boy’s, still going strong on Rockingham Road.

But the economy was not kind to the newest location, Lisa Fortier said, and the drive-in had to close.

“There just wasn’t enough business,” she said.

It was also a struggle at that location with traffic, she said. Taking a left turn out of the drive-in onto Nashua Road proved difficult.

The couple still hope the drive-in building can find a new life in the future.

“Obviously, we want to do something with it,” Fortier said.

Until then, the original Poor Boy’s is open for business, despite a major construction project taking place on Rockingham Road.

“We’re still here and we’re getting through,” Fortier said.