LONDONDERRY — While construction workers were digging a trench behind 382 Winding Pond Road last week, they struck a propane gas line, which resulted in a brief evacuation.
While there was no property damage and nobody was injured, five condominiums were evacuated on the morning of Sept. 28.
Firefighters from Windham, Londonderry, Derry, Pelham and Hudson all responded to the gas leak at Century Village at Waterview Condominiums.
One Waterview resident went outside, after she smelled the gas.
“I could smell the gas and got nervous,” Rose Stahly said.
Five people were evacuated from their homes by police and firefighters, fire Chief Kevin MacCaffrie said.
Police blocked the road for a short time.
According to MacCaffrie, around 3,000 gallons of water were pumped over the line leak, in order to disperse and dilute the gas.
Londonderry firefighters responded quickly to the leak.
“I am so thankful these guys know as much as they do and plan as much as they do,” Waterview resident Cindy Rice Conley said.
Fire departments continued pumping water until the propane tanks were empty, which took about 40 minutes.
Residents were allowed back into their homes less than an hour later.