---- — DERRY Hot summer weather continued to affect The Greater Derry Track Club Kids Summer Fun Run Program.
A heat advisory cancelled the event on July 17, and thunderstorms shortened the July 24 event.
But the weather did not stop 66 enthusiastic new runners from signing on for the series this week, bringing the total participation this season to 779 children.
It was also milk and cookies night, with Stonyfield donating organic milk, cookies and yogurt to all participants.
Presenting sponsor MVP Health Care, donated pedometers to some of the runners.
Food donations for the St. Thomas Food Pantry were at 327 pounds last week, bringing the total up to 1,556 pounds.
Presented by MVP Health Care, with financial support also provided by Northeast Delta Dental and Derry Medical Center, the series is in its 37th year.
GDTC members lead the young runners in stretching exercises and provide running tips. The 2- and 3-year-olds run 50 meters, 4- to 6-year-olds run 200 meters, 7- and 8-year-olds run 300 meters, 9- and 10-year-olds run 600 meters, and the 11- to 13-year-olds run the cross country mile. Those 14 and older run the open mile on the track, which often sees parents challenging the local high school elite runners.
GDTC supplies entrants with water, Gatorade and watermelon. Runners receive weekly participation ribbons, which are supplied by the Derry Recreation Department.
Runners completing the series receive medals and T-shirts from GDTC. For more information and pictures, go to gdtc.org.
The final fun run is Aug. 7 at the Londonderry High School track.
Registration is at 6 p.m. and races start at 6:30 p.m. Check gdtc.org for weather updates.
Registration is free, but runners are asked to bring a nonperishable food item to restock food pantries in the greater Derry area.
The winners for July 24 are:
1. Trevor Demers (Auburn) 1. Macy Graves (Hampstead)
2. Matthew Anderson (Londonderry) 2. Grace Holland (Londonderry)
3. Justin Herland (Derry) 3. Melanie Black (Hooksett)
1. Isaac Miley (Derry) 1. Olivia Stowell (Londonderry)
2. Camden Ness (Londonderry) 2. Gwen Barnes (Hooksett)
3. Brady Hanley (Londonderry) 3. Cailin Borovicka (Londonderry)
1. Ethan Desmarais (Chester) 1. Amelia Graves (Hampstead)
2. Owen Stowell (Londonderry) 2. Nicole Alves (Derry)
3. Conrad Demers (Auburn) 3. Jessica Lacey (Chester)
1. Cameron Phelps (Derry) 1. Erin Barnes (Hooksett)
2. Corey Sarkis (Atkinson) 2. Kalin Gregoire (Londonderry)
3. Kyle Dickson (Londonderry) 3. Emma Demarais (Chester)
1. Lukas Blythe (Salem) 1. Taylor Sheley (Chester)
2. Noah Smalley (Chester) 2. Tetiana King (Londonderry)
3. Calvin Graves (Hampstead) 3. Olivia Balch (Manchester)
Open Mile: Rained out