DerryNews.com, Derry, New Hampshire

November 15, 2012

HEALTH BRIEF


Derry News

---- — It’s CO Awareness Month in N.H.

Gov. John Lynch signed a proclamation declaring November as Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month to draw attention to preventing the “silent killer” of carbon monoxide exposure in the Granite State during a time when CO poisoning incidents typically begin to rise.

In order to be properly covered, each home should have a carbon monoxide alarm in or near every sleeping area and on each level of the home.

While alarm lifespans may vary by model and manufacturer, a properly maintained CO alarm has a lifespan of approximately five to seven years.

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, CO poisoning is a leading cause of accidental poisoning in the United States and is responsible for an average of 450 deaths each year.

Heaters, fireplaces, furnaces, appliances and cooking sources using coal, wood or petroleum products are all potential sources of CO.

CO poisoning can cause symptoms such as nausea, headaches, dizziness, chest pain and vomiting that mimic those of many other illnesses, making it difficult to diagnose. In severe poisoning cases, victims can experience disorientation, unconsciousness, long-term neurological disabilities, cardio-respiratory failure or death.