The dog appeared to be a Lab mix.
“He was a good neighbor,” said Poor, who sometimes would talk with Lacharite about the Red Sox or Patriots. “He was big into watching sports on TV.”
Poor thought Lacharite had worked in construction at one time.
“It’s a very sad situation,” said John Foley, who lives across Island Pond Road.
Foley said he awakened after the fire was out.
He said he didn’t know Lacharite well.
“He’s a very pleasant man,” Foley said.
Lacharite had ties to Pelham. His deceased father, Michael, and his mother, Ann Marie, were active in the Pelham community through the years at St. Patrick’s Church and with the Pelham Good Neighbor Fund.
“They are a very good family,” said Frank Sullivan, president of the fund.
He said the Lacharites are very religious and have experienced a lot of tragedy in recent years.
Poor said he was aware of the family losses.
“He was telling me about it one time,” Poor said. “He had been through a pretty quick string of family tragedies.”
Island Pond Road runs north from Route 111 past Island Pond.
The home is in an area without fire hydrants. Water was supplied by tankers from Derry and other communities. Aid was provided by Salem, Londonderry, Pelham, Atkinson, Hampstead, Windham and other towns.
The fire was reported under control at 2:38 a.m. The home was deemed a total loss.
Degnan urged all residents to have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on each level of their homes, immediately outside of sleeping areas. Smoke alarms should also be placed inside bedrooms and interconnected so that if one alarm sounds they all do, he said.
There is as little as three minutes to escape a fire once a smoke alarm sounds, according to Degnan’s office. He also warned that smoke alarms 10 years or older should be replaced because they lose their effectiveness.
Eleven people have died in New Hampshire so far this year due to fires and carbon monoxide — and all of these tragedies are preventable, Degnan said.