, Derry, New Hampshire

July 11, 2013

N.H. State Police had busy holiday weekend

Staff report
Derry News

---- — The extended Fourth of July holiday kept New Hampshire State Police busy.

From July 4 through July 7, troopers made 91 arrests, 28 of them for DWI.

On July 3, police responded to a fatal accident on Interstate 93 in Windham, near Exit 3. A Boston man died after he was struck by a car driven by an allegedly drunken driver. He and his passengers were standing behind their car in the breakdown lane when the accident occurred.

The State Police Bureau of Marine Patrol was busy, too.

On Friday, Marine Patrol officers assisted in the recovery of a drowning victim from the Merrimack River in Concord. Gary Lacroix, 59, of Concord drowned.

On Saturday, Marine Patrol officers assisted N.H. Fish and Game officers in the search and eventual recovery of drowning victim Daron Graham, 20, of Penacook. Graham drowned in the Merrimack River in Boscawen.

Also on Saturday, Marine Patrol officers investigated a third incident in which Massachusetts resident Sheldon Jean-Laurent, 18, drowned after disappearing in Country Pond in Newton. Jean-Laurent was eventually transported to Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston, where he later died.

Troopers from the New Hampshire State Police Troop-C and the Major Crimes Unit responded to Unity Saturday, where Fish and Game officers and the NE K-9 Search and Rescue had located body of Kelly Robarge, 42, of Charlestown. Robarge has been missing since June 27 under suspicious circumstances.

On Sunday, troopers from Troop D responded to a fatal accident in Epsom. Allen Field, 18, died after failing to negotiate a turn on New Rye Road. Epsom police had seen Field’s vehicle behind Central School on Black Hall Road. Field fled when police tried to stop him. Police stopped the pursuit, and a short time later found Field and his crashed vehicle on New Rye Road. The investigation into this crash is continuing.

Also on Sunday, NHSP Troop D officers responded to an unattended death in the woods off Fort Eddy Road in Concord. The victim was identified as John Tonkin, 52, of Concord. The state medical examiner’s office deemed the death as not suspicious; the investigation is continuing.

Finally, on Sunday, NHSP Troop A officers went to a motorcycle-car accident on Route 101 in Hampton. Police said Ronald Orr, 66. of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., was traveling west and didn’t notice traffic ahead of him slowing before the toll.

Orr crashed into the back of a 2005 Honda Pilot driven by Brendan O’Brien, 46, of Baltimore, Md. Orr sustained serious, but non-life-threatening injuries. he was taken to Exeter Hospital by the Hampton Fire Department and later flown to Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston for treatment.