It's March, which means the NCAA Tournament is just around the corner. But before March Madness takes hold, the conference tournaments, which get under way this week, often provide their own share of exciting finishes. Here are five memorable buzzer beaters from conference tournament play.
Ohio State vs. Michigan (2010 Big Ten quarterfinal)
The Wolverines were two seconds away from upsetting OSU in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament in 2010. But then the Buckeyes got the ball into the hands of Evan Turner.
UConn vs. Pitt (2011 Big East quarterfinal)
Guard Kemba Walker's step-back jumper at the buzzer lifted the Huskies to an upset of Pitt in the Big East tournament and sparked a postseason run that ended with coach Jim Calhoun's third national championship.
Stetson vs. Belmont (2011 Atlantic Sun women's semifinal)
The women have provided their share of buzzer beating excitement in conference tournaments over the years, as in the 2011 Atlantic Sun Conference semifinal, when Stetson guard Victoria McGowan threw in a 55-footer to beat Belmont.
BYU vs. UTEP (1992 WAC championship)
The Cougars were on the verge of seeing their hopes for an NCAA Tournament bid dashed until forward Kevin Nixon made a shot that BYU fans still talk about more than 20 years later.
Washington vs. Arizona (2011 Pac 10 championship)
A back-and-forth championship game in 2011 between the Huskies and the Wildcats came down to Washington's final possession in overtime.
Almost half of America's obese youth don't know they're obese
The good news is that after decades of furious growth, obesity rates finally seem to be leveling off in the U.S.. The bad news is that America's youth still appear to be dangerously unaware of the problem.Continued ...
Darth Vader is polling higher than all potential 2016 presidential candidates
On the other hand, with a net favorability of -8, Jar Jar is considerably more popular than the U.S. Congress, which currently enjoys a net favorability rating of -65.Continued ...
Llama on the loose corralled in Missouri town
A llama on the lam cruised Main Street Tuesday before it mistook a resident’s fenced backyard for a place to grab a meal and freshen up.Continued ...
- An oncologist uses scorpion venom to locate cancer cells
- VIDEO: Train collides with semi truck carrying lighter fluid
- What we get wrong about millennials living at home
- Monday, July 21, 2014
- Wal-Mart to cut prices more aggressively in back-to-school push
- Hospitals let patients schedule ER visits
- Starved Pennsylvania 7-year-old weighed only 25 pounds
- Friday, July 18, 2014
- Malaysians wonder 'Why us?' after second loss of airline jet
- A quarter of the world's most educated people live in the 100 largest cities
- Your chocolate addiction is only going to get more expensive
- Thursday, July 17, 2014
- Facebook tests button to let people shop from its website
- The terrible history of passenger planes getting shot out of the sky
- We're raising a generation of timid kids
- Starbucks sees more Apple-like stores after Colombia debut
- Wednesday, July 16, 2014
- VIDEO: New story emerges about Texas children locked in hot car
- Gunshots narrowly miss TV reporter
- 25 hidden secrets in "Weird Al's" "Word Crimes" video
- VIDEO: Comcast apologizes after customer service call goes viral
- Almost half of America's obese youth don't know they're obese