It's March, which means the NCAA Tournament is just around the corner. But before March Madness takes hold, the conference tournaments, which get under way this week, often provide their own share of exciting finishes. Here are five memorable buzzer beaters from conference tournament play.
Ohio State vs. Michigan (2010 Big Ten quarterfinal)
The Wolverines were two seconds away from upsetting OSU in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament in 2010. But then the Buckeyes got the ball into the hands of Evan Turner.
UConn vs. Pitt (2011 Big East quarterfinal)
Guard Kemba Walker's step-back jumper at the buzzer lifted the Huskies to an upset of Pitt in the Big East tournament and sparked a postseason run that ended with coach Jim Calhoun's third national championship.
Stetson vs. Belmont (2011 Atlantic Sun women's semifinal)
The women have provided their share of buzzer beating excitement in conference tournaments over the years, as in the 2011 Atlantic Sun Conference semifinal, when Stetson guard Victoria McGowan threw in a 55-footer to beat Belmont.
BYU vs. UTEP (1992 WAC championship)
The Cougars were on the verge of seeing their hopes for an NCAA Tournament bid dashed until forward Kevin Nixon made a shot that BYU fans still talk about more than 20 years later.
Washington vs. Arizona (2011 Pac 10 championship)
A back-and-forth championship game in 2011 between the Huskies and the Wildcats came down to Washington's final possession in overtime.
America’s sleep-deprived cities
Americans might run on sleep, but those living in the country's largest cities don't appear to run on much.Continued ...
Who should pay for your kids ACT?
Thirteen states paid for 11th-grade students in all public high schools to take the ACT college admission test this year, with several more planning to join them in 2015.Continued ...
Why do people look like their pets?
As much as we might quibble over the virtues and vices of Canis domesticus, however, and over whether human nature is any better or worse than dog nature, even dog fanciers don't usually want to look like a dog.Continued ...
- Ice bucket challenge trending up
- Africa goes medieval in its fight against Ebola
- Democrat? Republican? There's an app for that
- Friday, August 15, 2014
- Five myths about presidential vacations
- Thursday, August 14, 2014
- Can 6 seconds launch a career? A generation of Vine stars sure hopes so.
- 8 crucial tips for college freshmen
- A night in Ferguson
- Wednesday, August 13, 2014
- The scales of injustice: Weight loss differs between men, women
- Williams among many who cracked jokes while fighting depression
- Drug dealers going corporate
- Tuesday, August 12, 2014
- Why the Ferguson police-shooting riots had little to do with Ferguson
- VIDEO: Stars react to Robin Williams' death
- Most Republican House districts are majority-white
- Monday, August 11, 2014
- Job market tilting toward workers
- The benefit of World War I omission on the Washington Mall
- In Japan, ramen aficionados worry their favorite dish is coming off the boil
- Friday, August 8, 2014
- Mother, grandparents face attempted murder charges in starvation case
- America’s sleep-deprived cities