In honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day, here are 6 fictional pirate quotes to help ye land lubbers get into the spirit of the day.
"If I don't kill a man every now and then, they forget who I am."
Blackbeard was a notorious English pirate of the 1700s who also became a fixture in fictional works, most recently in the film "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides." Blackbeard is portrayed as the heartless captain of the ship "Queen Ann's Revenge" who is on a quest to find the Fountain of Youth.
Long John Silver
"There's never a man looked me between the eyes and seen a good day a'terward."
Long John Silver was crafted by Robert Louis Stevenson in his book "Treasure Island" published in 1883. He was a one-legged pirate who craftily hid his dark side until the opportune moment.
"Yo ho, yo ho, the frisky plank, You walks along it so, Till it goes down and you goes down To Davy Jones below!"
Though possibly more well-known as a Disney character, Captain Hook was first created in 1904 by J. M. Barrie in his classic play, "Peter Pan."
Dread Pirate Roberts
"Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."
The Dread Pirate Roberts is a character mentioned in the 1987 film "The Princess Bride," who takes farm boy Westley prisoner on his ship. He is never seen, but quoted by Westley mid-way through the film as he recounts his experience.
Captain Jack Sparrow
"Well, then, I confess. It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder, and otherwise pilfer my weaselly black guts out."
Captain Jack Sparrow is a fixture in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie franchise, known for his strange mannerisms, trickery and passion for rum.
"Better were the days when mastery of seas came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures... but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. You all know this to be true!"
Also a character in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series, Captain Hector Barbossa was first introduced as a cursed mutineer in "The Curse of the Black Pearl." He dies in the end of the film, but is brought back to life in the next installment of the series, "Dead Man's Chest."
VIDEO: Toddler climbs into vending machine
A child is safe after climbing into and getting stuck inside a claw crane machine at a Lincoln, Neb., bowling alley Monday.Continued ...
VIDEO: From infant to teen in four minutes
Dutch filmmaker Frans Hofmeester’s time lapse video of his daughter, Lotte — created by filming her every week from her birth until she turned 14 — has become a viral sensation.Continued ...
Victimized by the 'marriage penalty'
In a few short months, I'll pass the milestone that every little girl dreams of: the day she swears - before family and God, in sickness and in health, all in the name of love - that she's willing to pay a much higher tax rate.Continued ...
- Allergies are the real midlife crisis
- Tax deduction for a gym membership?
- VIDEO: A year after marathon bombing, Boston remains strong
- Monday, April 14, 2014
- Google acquires drone maker Titan Aerospace to spread Internet
- E-Cigarettes target youth with festivals, lawmakers say
- Search teams will send unmanned sub to look for missing Malaysian airliner
- Why Facebook is getting into the banking game
- Friday, April 11, 2014
- Train, entertain your pets with these 3 smartphone apps
- Stepping forward: The real Colbert
- Millions of Android phones, tablets vulnerable to Heartbleed bug
- VIDEO: Northern California bus crash kills 10
- Thursday, April 10, 2014
- Teens trading naked selfies for mugshots
- Boston doctors can now prescribe you a bike
- Day care's cost can exceed college tuition in some states
- VIDEO: CBS taps Colbert as Letterman’s Late Show successor
- VIDEO: Cement truck crashes into minivan
- Wednesday, April 9, 2014
- Brakes, steering and...spiders? What's behind the latest auto recalls
- VIDEO: Toddler climbs into vending machine