On April 15, 1912, the Titanic was on its maiden voyage from the U.K. to New York when it struck an iceberg and sank to the bottom of the Atlantic. A detailed map of the wreckage created by combining by 130,000 images captured by unmanned submarines during an expedition in 2010 suggests that while the bow glided nose-first to the bottom of the ocean, the stern picked up speed as it corkscrewed to the bottom of the ocean.
Details on the 2010 expedition findings appear in the April 2012 edition of National Geographic and in a History Channel documentary that will air on April 15.
Sources: National Geographic, AP, BBC, Cincinnati Post
Audio: How can we better prepare for tornadoes?
An NPR broadcast examines the question of how communities can better prepare for tornadoes like the one that struck Moore, Okla. on Monday. The broadcast features commentary from Michael Fitzgerald, who reported a five-part disaster series for the CNHI News Service.Continued ...
Photos: Aftermath of massive tornado in Moore
Storm victims were pulled from the rubble and residents began surveying the damage late Monday and early Tuesday in the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore, where a powerful tornado destroyed entire neighborhoods and left dozens dead.Continued ...
The Big One: Preparing for mid-America earthquake
It’s a bleak scenario. A massive earthquake along the New Madrid fault kills or injures 60,000 people in Tennessee. A quarter of a million people are homeless.Continued ...
- VIDEO: How sequestration could affect US flood warning system
- Warning Signs: Technology speeds disaster alerts, response
- VIDEO: High-tech storm prediction center warns residents of tornadoes
- Saturday, May 11, 2013
- VIDEO: Misconceptions about predicting tornadoes
- Thursday, May 9, 2013
- VIDEO: Take an inside look at storm prediction center
- Wednesday, May 8, 2013
- When the earth moves under our feet
- Tuesday, May 7, 2013
- When in a tornado, here's what not to do
- Sunday, May 5, 2013
- Tornado veterans balance preparedness, practicality
- INTERACTIVE: Is your home ready for a disaster?
- Tuesday, April 30, 2013
- VIDEO: Where is the safest place during tornado?
- Sunday, April 28, 2013
- Money spent beforehand blunts the impact of disasters
- Search the database: Every FEMA-declared disaster since 1953
- Friday, April 26, 2013
- 10 costliest disasters in history
- Thursday, April 25, 2013
- Separating tornado facts from fiction
- Tuesday, April 23, 2013
- Are we prepared? Disasters prove more costly as people move into storm-prone areas
- MAP: What disaster conditions are you at risk for?
- QUIZ: Are you ready? Test your emergency prep knowledge
- Audio: How can we better prepare for tornadoes?